Thursday, September 11, 2008

Shakespeare knows ETV better than India's Media class.

Shakespeare had known the ETV centuries ago. His play Merchant of Venice is the good example of how ETV Management has learned from Shakespeare's plays though negatively. They took the role of Shylock for their company against their Trainee Journalists who signed a bond with ETV same as Antonio did with Shylock. Instead of flesh from Journalists, they have asked them to compensate 1,00000 for what they have learned from ETV, assuming that they have given nothing to ETV. Neither a single news story, nor a single TRP achievement.

What all happened with Antonio in that play is just a height of brutality of human nature. This human nature of money lenders in that Europe, some how transformed in a institutionalised form. I just went through the ETV Bond which they have forced on their Trainee Journalists to make them contract labourer es in free India. It is fine that they are supporting training but does it not look like the support which Shylock offered to Antonio to give him money without interest and would take only one pond flesh.
Please look some parts of the play which discusses the cruel and drconian Bond similar to that one of ETV.

SHYLOCK
This kindness will I show.Go with me to a notary, seal me thereYour single bond; and, in a merry sport,If you repay me not on such a day,In such a place, such sum or sums as areExpress'd in the condition, let the forfeitBe nominated for an equal poundOf your fair flesh, to be cut off and takenIn what part of your body pleaseth me.



ANTONIO
Content, i' faith: I'll seal to such a bondAnd say there is much kindness in the Jew.

BASSANIO
You shall not seal to such a bond for me:I'll rather dwell in my necessity.

ANTONIO
Why, fear not, man; I will not forfeit it:Within these two months, that's a month beforeThis bond expires, I do expect returnOf thrice three times the value of this bond.

in scene three



SHYLOCK
I'll have my bond; speak not against my bond:I have sworn an oath that I will have my bond.Thou call'dst me dog before thou hadst a cause;But, since I am a dog, beware my fangs:The duke shall grant me justice. I do wonder,Thou naughty gaoler, that thou art so fondTo come abroad with him at his request.



ANTONIO
I pray thee, hear me speak.

SHYLOCK
I'll have my bond; I will not hear thee speak:I'll have my bond; and therefore speak no more.I'll not be made a soft and dull-eyed fool,To shake the head, relent, and sigh, and yieldTo Christian intercessors. Follow not;I'll have no speaking: I will have my bond

See the Bond which Shylock had asked Antonio to comply with. It is not the case of dark age of Europe, just take a look of ETV Bond whose mathematics is not much different from that one of Shylock's.

From ETV Bond Article Nine.

If the trainee fails to perform any of his obligation under this agreement, the trainee agrees that he shall compensate the company as follows:-i) a sum of Rs.1,00,000/-(Rupees one lakh only) if the trainee fails to perform his/her obligations/promises during the training period of one year.ii) A sum of Rs. 75,000/- (Rupees seventy five thousand only) if the trainee fails to perform his/her obligations/promises during the first year of service after completion of training.iii) A sum of Rs. 50,000/-(Rupees fifty thousand only) if the employee fails to perform his/her obligations/promises during the second year of service after completion of training.Explanation :- Failure to perform his obligations include termination, dismissal or discharge for breach of any of the terms and conditions of this agreement or for any other reason, or breach of any of the rules and regulations of the company, absconding and resignation etc.

In a period of one year many of ETV young journalists might have brought hundreds thousands advertisements through their skilled and sharp writing, they might have brought higher TRP rates for the Channels but the company would not spare them free. It will take One lakh rupees if they gave up the job even 24 hours before one year.

Just check the Mathematics of a journalist.

Monthly Salary---------5000

ESI cut off----------------98.00

Prof. Tax-----------------60.00

EPF---------------------646

Cash in hand----------4196.00

Just imagine, you are in Hydrabad and you are surely not staying free of cost in Ramoji Film City, nor getting free food any more. After cutting this cost you will get the payment like that

Room rent---------------800 (Minimum)

Food cost----------------1800 (Modest food not for health)

Some local convenience----200 (If you want to visit city three times in a month)

So now you will save from your monthly cash stipend 4196, only and only 1396. That is all for what you have signed that great Bond with ETVian Shylocks. Can a free Indian imagine such evident exploitation of a young talent in this country. Mr. Ramoji Rao the honorable chairman of the company knows or does not know the fact, but would he ever allow his grandsons to undergo such inhuman treatment on the name of Training.

After that small money you are supposed to stay there for three years without any objection, demands etc. If you dared to leave, or you been suspended by them you would have to pay one lakh rupees in first year. You earned only 60000, and would be forced to pay 1,00000. What a great Justice is that!

Now I came to learn that they have also kept certificates of many students to keep them stuck in that big ETVian bushes for three year by force. Can any Indian allow even Britishers to practice like that. No , surely not!

I just can say that ETV is going to take Shylock's role in today's labour market. My simple question to readers is that would you ever bother to stop these malpractices and get these journalists rid from this mental mess.

Let us take on the issue! Make it issue of journalistic dignity!

1 comment:

kaushal said...

असलियत को बयां करने का बेहतरीन तरीका है... उम्मीद है हम उस दैत्य को नकेल पहना सकेंगे..